Quick DetailsWine Name: Storyteller
From: Sonoma, California
Blend: 100% Merlot
Year: 2012
Price Paid: $11.99 "on sale"
Down and Dirty Summary: OK.
Paired with: Skinny Dark Chocolate Bundt Cake.
Okay everyone, I chose an every day Merlot that is drink ready now, as my first wine to actually review on this lovely and sunny #winewednesday here in Seattle. I picked this wine for it's label. I guess I was feeling lighthearted "once upon a dream..." pulled me in and because it has been a long time since I've had a plain Merlot in awhile.
First pour: smelled very nice to the nose. First taste was harsh for me. It tasted woodsy and not necessarily smoky but oaky, bold but I couldn't tell if I liked it or not. It carried nice cherry notes but for me they were overpowered by the "spice". Now I'll be fair and say I'm not a huge fan of spicy or "peppery" wines - especially when not served with a nice dinner or some sharp cheddar cheese.
Well fast forward a few hours...I gave it round 2. I finished the first glass but honestly did not enjoy it. Sorry Storyteller but.... it just wasn't smooth to me. I decided to let the wine open up a bit, and I finished baking my Skinny Dark Chocolate Bundt Cake. Later after I dealt with cleaning up dinner, 3 rounds of baths and 2 games of Plants vs Zombies 2 with my boys ha. I decided to have a glass with my Bundt Cake. WOW! Let me tell you guys - this wine TOTALLY changed! Something about the time allowing it to breathe and the mixture with my chocolate cake.. Okay Storyteller you have slightly redeemed yourself ;)
Summary is: I don't know if I'll buy it again soon. If you want to try it - pair with a nice BBQ chicken or Pork chop or possibly a piece of my skinny dark chocolate bundt cake! :) Let me know if you want the recipe.
Stay tuned for next week, any wine you want me to try to review, send me an email at happywinechick@gmail.com or comment here. Thanks.

No comments:
Post a Comment