Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Wine Wednesday - In The Mood For A Litte Chianti

Quick Details

Wine Name: Incanto Chianti Classico
From: Italy
Blend: Chianti
Year: 2011
Price Paid: $11
From: Grocery Store
Down and Dirty Summary: Doesn't let you down. Good Chianti for Newbie Chianti lovers.
Paired with: Chicken Curry & Rice (didn't specifically choose this pairing ha) & Dark Chocolate Chips.

So I am a huge fan of Chianti and the funny thing is.. unlike a lot of people (or so I've heard) I started off drinking dry wines like Chianti when I was first introduced to wine. I specifically liked how dry and plain it was and it was easy for me to drink, plus I LOVED spaghetti and it was an absolutely great matchup. As I matured in my tastes I learned to try lots of different varieties and have since become a fan of MANY different kinds of wine, but I still just get in the mood for a nice Chianti every once in awhile ESPECIALLY when I'm in the mood for spaghetti with mushrooms, rich pastas, or a seasoned steak.

This Chianti opened up rather quickly... I believe this is because it's a pretty evenly balanced Chianti, it doesn't leave a harsh taste in the mouth or leave you reaching for a glass of water because your mouth feels like cotton mouth. It's a fairly balanced, light colored, fragrant free wine, not to fruity either. If you swish it around and give it several chances you can catch just a hint of earthy, herby notes along with maybe cherry and a bit of smokiness. I swear I have tasted some that are COMPLETELY different wines on the 2nd day of being opened, and if I was to take that statement further I would say better the 2nd day!

I didn't plan out my meal today so unfortunately I ended up having some Rice with Chicken Curry and cashews which was good but definitely not something I would choose to pair with a Chianti. I prefer to drink Chianti plain with nothing else or with red sauces, pastas and red meats... very similar to what I like to pair Cabernet blends with, but we can't always plan things out like we hope to!

I switched jobs this week and I'm just proud of me for getting something out there consistently to you guys. I ended up grabbing a small bowl of dark chocolate chips to switch up the "pairing" and it blended much better with the chocolate. I would pair this wine with something gamey or a rich pasta - it will go nicely but it won't knock your socks off either.

Until next week! Happy #WineWednesday All.

No comments:

Post a Comment